|what's new | website map | website index||
The Society (known as BAS, for short) was founded in 1847 and is one of the oldest in the country. It is the senior body in the County in the fields of Archaeology, Architecture and Local History. It has active specialist sections for Historic Buildings and Natural History. The Society also founded the County Museum and still owns the main museum buildings and a large part of its collections, although the museum is now leased and run by the County Council.
The BAS covers the whole of the old historic county of Buckinghamshire from Milton Keynes in the north to Eton in the south.
For a more detailed history of the Society click here.
The cost of producing this site has been met by a generous donation made in his will by Dr Arnold Baines, a long-standing member of the Society and a former Vice President. Acknowledgement must also go to all those people who have contributed material for the web site. Please also note that copyright of photos on the site belong primarily to the person who kindly provided the image and include Mike Farley.