Winslow History Project

PICTURE (TOP):
The old market
cross at Aylesbury
before its
demolition.

  • Shops and shopping in Winslow across the centuries

The Winslow History website
has a range of information about shops and shopping in Winslow, especially in Market Square and High Street.
Click on the links to see:

Some of the shops for which we have detailed histories:
  • 6 High Street, an ironmonger's from the 1660s, then a grocer's, now a small supermarket; rebuilt in the 1870s.
  • 1 Horn Street, a grocer's from the 1730s, now a restaurant.
  • 14 Market Square, a stationer's, then a confectioner's with a photographic studio above, now a cocktail bar and a silversmith's.

Wills and/or inventories for shopkeepers such as:

PHOTO RIGHT: 3 Market Square, built as an ironmonger's shop in 1870, photographed in 1935.

 

Other shopping-related material, including:

  • Who we are:
  • The Winslow History Project aims to collect documents, maps, photographs and oral history interviews and to make them available through exhibitions, publications and its website. Project members originally came together in Autumn 2009 and ran a series of local history evening classes in the town.
  • Our activities:
  • The project aims to provide information about the history of Winslow through talks, walks and our website. Volunteers are currently transcribing newspaper articles from the 1890s and a variety of other documents. The website is updated with new material at least once a week.
  • Recent publication:
  • HOW ONE MAN TRANSFORMED A TOWN: WINSLOW 1640–1770 AND WILLIAM LOWNDES, by David Noy
    The story of an extraordinary man – and an extraordinary picture of how a Buckinghamshire town was changed in the 18th century.
    Published by Bucks Archaeological Society in October 2020.
    14.50 including postage. CLICK HERE TO order online now.
  • Enquiries:
  • Contact David Noy by email at d.noy@btinternet.com or by phone on 01296 711683.
PICTURES BELOW: Left: The staff of E A Illing, the grocer's at 1 Horn Street, in the early 1900s; Right: Fulks and Sons at 2 High Street, circa 1909.

Thanks to David Noy of the Winslow History Project for providing the contents of this page.